Is Tooth Removal Necessary?
Kremer Dental Care goes to great lengths to help patients retain their own natural teeth for as long as possible, however sometimes it becomes necessary to remove a tooth completely to avoid the spread of infection or more serious problems. Teeth are extracted for a variety of reasons, usually connected with breakage or decay.
Some specific factors leading to the decision to have a tooth removal procedure:
- Decay has reached deep into the tooth
- Infection has destroyed a large portion of the tooth or surrounding bone
- There is not enough room for all the teeth in your mouth
- Periodontal disease has affected the gums' ability to support the tooth structure.
After a tooth removal procedure the removed tooth may be replaced with a dental implant
, a denture or a dental bridge
. At Kremer Dental Care we work with you to determine the best choice of replacement for your unique case.
Wisdom Tooth Removal
Wisdom Tooth Removal is the process of removing one or more of your 'Wisdom teeth'. These are the third molars that typically appear between the ages of 17 and 21. Consequently getting the name 'wisdom teeth' simply because they grow in at a more mature age.
Why Get a Wisdom Tooth Extraction?
Having a wisdom tooth removed is a major decision that Kremer Dental Care does not take lightly. However, it is sometimes a very necessary procedure. One of the most common reasons for wisdom tooth removal is that there is no room in your mouth for your wisdom teeth to grow in. This means they can adversely affect your other teeth.
More reasons for tooth extraction may include:
- When infection occurs around the wisdom tooth pocket.
- When your immune system is compromised.
- Periodontal or Gum Disease often cause serious damage which requires tooth extractions.
- To remove aesthetically unpleasant-looking teeth.
- We may also recommend removal of wisdom teeth as part of treatment for braces or other dental procedure.
Wisdom Tooth Removal Procedure
This procedure may be painful for some individual because of the size, shape, or structure of the wisdom teeth. Our doctors will follow this procedure while removing teeth:
- The first step of this procedure is numbing your teeth and gums.
- After numbing your teeth, we will expand and separate the tooth socket to extract the teeth.
- We will use dental elevators and extraction forceps to remove the tooth.
- Once the tooth is extracted, we will close the extraction site.
- After completion of the extraction process, we will control the bleeding within the area, and minimize the swelling.